Open plan and versatile living spaces have been a trend for many years. This is especially the case in South Africa. We are blessed with properties that have gardens, entertainment areas, pools, views of the city, the sea and bush. All of these elements need to be taken into account when designing a space.
These views are often a focal point of a home, office, guest house etc. and because of this, they need to be accentuated. Sliding doors and frameless stacking doors have become the solution to this need. They extend the inside of a space to the outside of a space and make it one flowing area. Both of these glass door options have many benefits, and you need to examine all of these when finding the right solution to fit your design and project needs. Below we highlight the features of both frameless stacking door and sliding door systems, to assist you with making an informed decision.
What are frameless stacking doors?
Frameless stacking doors are made up of several glass panels that slide and fold behind each other, completely opening up that space. What makes this door system unique is that there are no frames in between the glass panels and when the panels fold, they are completely retractable. This allows for indoor living to become an outdoor living area. These doors are perfect for houses and offices that need versatile open spaces that require a natural flow. Some of the other features include:
- Uninterrupted views – frameless glass solutions create a feeling of openness in the home because there is no frame obstructing your view. It connects the interior and exterior of the home in an effortless way, making you feel at one with the outside world, while still being protected by the elements. In a commercial sense, these glass solutions create an open and inviting atmosphere.
- Security – all glass panels are made from tempered safety glass which is fused to only the highest quality aluminium frame. Each of the glass solutions has a locking and connection system that adds to the safety and stability of the system, ensuring that your home, shop or office is safe and secure at all times.
- Comfort – each of the different glass systems allows for a natural airflow system in the home or office, making it a comfortable environment. The glass also effectively acts as an insulator against harsh weather conditions, temperature and noise, ensuring that you are always comfortable in the space.
- Ease of use – sliding folding doors offer a smooth and effortless sliding motion, with high-quality stainless steel wheels fitted for a bottom rolling operation. This bottom rolling system ensures that the doors are sealed, protecting against all weather conditions.
- Versatility – these doors allow for versatility in a home, shop, or office space. They are highly customizable and available in several powder-coated colours to match the aesthetic appeal of any space.
What are aluminium sliding doors?
Aluminium sliding doors are made from two glass panes that are encased by an aluminium frame. These doors open horizontally by sliding. When the door is opened the one glass pane slides and fits behind the other. Sliding doors are generally transparent and help to harmonise and integrate indoor and outdoor spaces. They have several other benefits, which include:
- Versatility – these doors are fantastic for enclosing a space, be it an office board room or a patio area.
- Durability – aluminium is a lightweight strong mental which is known for its strength and durability. Most sliding doors also make use of tempered glass which is known for its strength and longevity.
- Aesthetic appeal – the frames and glass have many different colour and glazing options which allow you to customise them to match your space.
- Energy efficiency – there are often single or double glazing options for the glass panes. This glazing not only improves insulation but energy efficiency as well. This results in less energy being needed to cool and warm the home.
- Minimal maintenance– glass sliding doors require less maintenance over time as the aluminium frame is corrosion and rust-resistant.
- Ease of use – sliding doors are easy to use and require minimal effort for opening and closing. You are also able to control the degree to which you want the door open or closed.
Sliding doors are a great feature in a home, office or commercial space, but there is one disadvantage. They are easy to open and close, which is why we always suggest adding an extra locking system to ensure that it is secure.
Choosing a solution to suit your needs
Both frameless glass doors and sliding doors have many pros, and choosing one over the other is often a difficult process. Both door systems, are easy to maintain, versatile, aesthetically appealing, energy-efficient, cost-effective and easy to use.
In our experience, the space and design will determine the solution. If you are not sure about which option might suit your needs, use our online quotation calculator to plan your next project.
Get an Instant Quote from the Industry Leaders
It couldn’t be easier to get a quote. Our online quotation calculator instantly gives you an estimated cost for your next project. Receive your quote now.